As an NHS organisation, we are uniquely placed to bridge the gap between health and social care. Northern Devon Healthcare NHS Trust is an integrated acute and community trust and through Devon Cares, we can:
- Streamline processes to ensure that people are not staying in hospital unnecessarily
- Improve co-ordination of the discharge process
- Use our care workers as an early-warning system, to flag up when people are deteriorating and call in extra home-based care to avoid hospital admission.
We support our providers by:
- Paying staff a better rate, thus helping recruitment and retention
- Providing NHS and other training opportunities
- Coordinating system and local-level communications
- Sharing best practice for training, complaint-handling, governance etc.
- Facilitating a more cooperative way of working, where providers work together for the good of the overall system
The benefits of the Devon Cares approach:
- Encourages sustainability and support across northern and mid-Devon
- Solves some of the workforce and capacity issues which in the past have prevented consistent quality
- All providers share the aim of supporting people’s independence and wellbeing
- Each zone held to account by the Locality Management Board to ensure the delivery of key performance indicators and quality standards.